When first looking at this debate (or really the original thoughts of Marshall McLuhan from 1964), I felt like it was important to define the word media before making a conclusion. Media is defined by the Oxford Dictionary (2016), media is defined as "the main means of mass communication (broadcasting, publishing, and the Internet) regarded collectively". Considering all forms of mass communication, I felt that I sided more with Robert Kozma because I believe that when there is purpose and meaning behind the media chosen to go with the material, it will be more effective for students. Media, especially apps and software, is not a "one-size-fits-all" category. The learning goals must be established before the specific media is chosen to present or research information. When I think of media, I automatically think of commercials. When companies brainstorm how they will advertise a new product, I believe media type is absolutely considered when deciding which route to take. Just as businesses want to sell their product, teachers and librarians want to give new knowledge and skills to students.
Designing lessons for students should definitely be planned with the type of media in mind. When considering the 21st-century skills students need, the use of technology may not always be the way to present information. Effective lessons can be planned with the use of paper media like articles and newsletters depending on the material being used.
Sources:
Media - definition of media in English. (2016). Retrieved November 15, 2016, from
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/media
The media debate. (2012, August 30). Retrieved November 15, 2016, from
http://edutechwiki.unige.ch/en/The_media_debate
I liked your comparison of marketers selling a product to educators teaching students. I agree with you that choosing the right medium to present information will yield the best results in student achievement.
ReplyDeleteThis is such a good post! With experience and reflection we can find the right tool for the job, and it isn't always technology~
ReplyDeleteI agree! It takes teachers that have a good understanding of the technology to give the students the best experience - technology can not do it on its own.
ReplyDeleteGreat post! You are so right in saying that there's more to great lessons than technology. Paper media is great too.
ReplyDeleteI like the way you mentioned that, "The learning goals must be established before the specific media is chosen to present or research information." I agree with this wholeheartedly.
ReplyDeleteVery true... again as others have mentioned above lol ...you mentioned not just any technology will do, but rather the learning goals must be established first before choosing the specific media is chosen.
ReplyDeleteWithout purpose and direction, media may not have any impact at all. Setting goals is of the outmost importance.
ReplyDeleteUltimately, the teacher is the one that must establish the importance of the information and how it will be transmitted. Technology has a place in the classroom, but it is not always the only solution.
ReplyDeleteI agree that media without purpose and direction serves no impact at all. We as educators can use technology as a tool but not as the only tool.
ReplyDeleteI think that many leaders in our schools do not sit down and evaluate certain programs before introducing them to the children. They go by it being new and techie! Sometimes, another computer reading program may not be the answer.
ReplyDelete