Sunday, November 13, 2016

Podcasts

This week, I did some experimenting with different podcast websites and was surprised with my findings. Podcasts can be used for a plethora of purposes in the library, classroom, and school setting. I had a hard time finding one idea that I liked best since there were so many different options for creating a Podcast. I created several but then would see an idea that I liked even better and would change direction. Overall, creating a podcast was pretty simple, but I am sure there are tons more options if you are willing to pay for a membership with a hosting site since the free options were limited on size, time, and format.

The first site that I tried to use for podcast creation was SoundCloud, but I did not end up using it because of their membership. They offer a free trial but you still have to put in payment information and remember to cancel the membership within 30 days. I never remember to cancel, so I chose to find another option when creating my podcast.

On PodOmatic, their free option did not require any payment information, but I could not figure out how to actually record on this website. There was an option to add files but not one to record directly from the site. I used the app QuickVoice to record my voice and then uploaded it to the PodOmatic website. I loved their site and the embed player looked really great, but I could not get it to play once posted on my blog. It was extremely frustrating. I went with this website anyway because of their embed player layout. It looked much nicer than the other sites.

The third podcast website I tried out was PodBean. They were listed as one of the top results when I completed a Google search of best podcast websites. I didn't find much of a difference between PodOmatic and PodBean since their sites were very similar. The only downside was that the picture I chose to represent my episode was not the correct file format, so I chose a smaller picture. I created the same podcast episode on both PodBean and PodOmatic, but went with PodOmatic because their embed player looked much nicer. Unfortunately, I could not get either player to work when copied into Blogger. I am interested to see if there is a website that is all-in-one with recording and publishing because the only way I could do this for free was by using separate sites for each. I definitely think there are unlimited options with podcasts, and I plan to use them with students throughout this year to try out some of the ways I've read about during this exploration!

The podcast below is the one I created using the voice recording app called QuickVoice and the podcast publishing site called PodOmatic. I chose to create a podcast about the upcoming library events for December since I felt that parents and students could both listen to it. I felt that this was a great place to start but am very interested in creating podcasts with book discussions because that was going to be my next choice if I were stepping out of my comfort zone! Below my podcast are links to the websites I have used above. Thanks for reading!

(Excuse my voice! I've had a cold and just got my voice back this morning!)

The embed player was not working on my computer, but I put it below anyway with high hopes. Here's the link to the podcast just in case.

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/kgc01422394/episodes/2016-11-13T17_15_37-08_00




Websites from Post:

PodOmatic:
https://www.podomatic.com

PodBean:
https://www.podbean.com

SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com

QuickVoice (App Store Only)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/quickvoice-recorder/id284675296?mt=8

6 comments:

  1. I haven't used Podbean, but many of you have suggested it and seemed to like it. I will have to give it a try. Sounds like several of us are dealing with cold issues as well! Tis the season...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Podcasts are a great way to inform our students and parents of the upcoming events. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny you mentioned the requirement of payment for Soundcloud because I also came across that and did not enter any payment info. and a few attempts later that payment screen was no longer there and I was able to create one successfully. Hmmm.. great idea utilizing a podcast to promote library events and reminders!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is weird that SoundCloud was asking for payment information because I wasn't ever asked for that. I was able to record my podcast and embed it for free. I had problems with one of the other sites, though. That is frustrating! I might check out podbean. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job with your announcements! That is a great way to share announcements!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wasn't asked for payment information on SoundCloud either. I enjoyed listening to your podcast. What a great way to spread the word to students, staff, and parents!

    ReplyDelete