Thursday, July 21, 2016

Deadline by Chris Crutcher



This book tells the story of a boy named Ben who has a blood disease that has only given him one year to live. Any other teen would have confided in a friend or relative but not Ben. He chose to decline treatment and did not want anyone to know about his disease or how long he had to live. The one thing he knew for sure was that he was going to make a difference and live life to the fullest. Ben's confidence and attitude drives him to befriend a beautiful girl at school, join the football team, and stand up to a teacher at school. After building relationships with friends and classmates, he decides that they should know about his illness. He shares his news with them and has their support as he finishes out his last projected year of life. I think this book was very challenging to read both mentally and emotionally. As a teenager, I would not have chosen a book about this topic because I know it would make me emotional. While this book was written for teens and young adults, I feel that many ages would benefit from the life lesson Chris Crutcher has presented through the main character, Ben.

Crutcher, C. (2007). Deadline. Retrieved July 19, 2016, from https://www.amazon.com/Deadline-Chris-Crutcher-ebook/dp/B0026772Y2/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1469139066&sr=8-1 

No comments:

Post a Comment